Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What's your favorite part about writing? (NaBloPoMo)

My favorite part about writing.... Well I've never considered myself a 'writer' but I saw the following phrase online the other day and you can sub out running for writing.
 
If you run, you're a runner.
 
Seems simple written out like that doesn't it?  If you knit, you're a knitter.  If you write, you're a writer.  If you bake, you're a baker.  There's no prequalification to 'become' these things.  Yes, there are grades and levels of people who do these things.  Professionals if you will.  But if you run, you're a runner. If you write, you're a writer.
 
I've just recently been told that I'm a 'good' writer.  I don't particularly agree, and I'd have to say that when I compare myself to good amatuer writers I don't even come close.  My sister on the other hand, very good.  She proof reads important things that I have to write.  I aspire to be as good a writer as those who's blogs I follow.  I strive to get better... sometimes I even proof read my posts before I hit 'publish'.  (most often than not tho... I like the raw unedited version that flows from my mind to my fingertips.)
 
I like that you can be whomever you want to be when you write.  I personally choose to be the raw and mostly unedited version of myself... I have a huge creative streak in me but not much in the way of imagination.  I like to live in physical prescense of now.  My dreams involve attainable, buildable things.  I'm not into 'fantasy'... I"m in to putting my thoughts and feelings and creative drive into things that will happen, or could happen.  I'd prefer to talk about my desire to be a goat farmer than something that has no possibility of happening.  But I like that I can be real and honest and someone else can be fantastical and dreamy and someone else can be theoretical and someone else can be whatever they want to be.
 
So I guess my favorite part about writing is that to each writer it can be whatever you need or want it to be.  It's not static and there are no rules.  What's better than that!

0 comments:

Followers