Friday, May 21, 2010

Rip... Rip... Riiiiiiip....

OMG, I am so glad that I have good and supportive knitting friends and that they are aware of the trials and tribulations of taking on a HUGE project!  I made a HUGE mistake in my blankie that I'm making and it was one that couldn't be hidden.... all the lacey holes were in a beautiful left hand facing slant and then all of a sudden, I got a case of the stupids and the next round of lacey holes were two stitches too far to the right... hence, no more nicely lining up slant.  The only thing to do in such a case is to take the knitting out back to the offending row and fix it.  That particular chart in the pattern is fairly central and it would have been SO noticible. Plus, like Boy says, do I really want to spend hundreds of hours on this project, only to have a glaring mistake?  Um, no, I don't... so I went to Starbucks at six pm yesterday where it was bright and sunny and quiet (ya, it was oddly quiet) and spent a pain staking thirty minutes taking each stitch out individually and placing it back on my needle... I managed to do it all without screwing the thing up worse and being forced to rip out 16 rows down to my last lifeline (lifeline: a piece of cotton or other string that you put through all your stitches so that if you have to unravel, you can unravel safely down to that spot and then all your stitches hang on the cotton until you can put them back on your needle.  It saves ripping the ENTIRE thing apart when you make a mistake...).  I"m now well on my way again, and I'm more committed to my blankie than I was originally because I've now invested time in it going backwards, which makes it more valuable to me for some reason.  I've been trying to think why that would make it more valuable, but I can't think of a single reason, other than in my heart I feel like I love it more now... Is it weird to talk about a blanket in terms of how much you feel for it in your heart?

I'm getting all my hair chopped off in 4.5 hours!  Yay!  I'm thinking that I'd like it quite short and a nice chocolatey brown color, but I think I'll go for short and my own color.  It seems silly to dye my hair dark in the middle of summer... then the sun makes your head hotter!

Sorry, no pictures today... maybe I'll post pictures of our epic adventure to the United States of America tomorrow... epic!  I have to get up at FOUR THIRTY IN THE MORNING!  Enough said!

0 comments:

Followers